[Junta] Extended R5RS Scheme

Harold Ancell hga at ancell-ent.com
Sat Sep 1 14:04:22 PDT 2007

At 04:38 AM 9/1/2007, David Rush wrote:

>On 9/1/07, Harold Ancell <hga at ancell-ent.com> wrote:

>> A reply mostly on process and goal issues:
>>
>> Ah, is it ER5RS or XR5RS?  I personally find
>> "X" to be overused by now, it was cool when
>> I read about the discovery of Pluto in grade
>> school, but much has passed since then....
>>
>> As mentioned, an "Extended Range" Scheme
>> has a nice sound to my ear, and I'll note
>> it has the virtue of "Truth In Advertising".
>
>Tee-hee-hee. `Extended Range R^5RS' would be ERR^5RS which visually
>puns such a lovely word :)

As I noted in the project page top, "ERR5RS" <-> "errors" makes
it dead simple to remember and to spell correctly, and I for one
need the latter ^_^.

>Or we could go with ER^7S and obfuscate the
>semantics of the 'R' which has another kind of pun-ny attraction to my
>kind of evil mind...

Will endorses ERR^5RS, so I believe we have a decision.  Why not
set up an "ERR5RS-dev" mailing list; with the addition of Nils
M Holm to this "product", I believe we can achieve critical mass.

Now we need to decide which or if both early products are a
part of the Standard 1 project; several options/paths here, but
we should pick a simple one.

>> I'm fine either way, but would like to avoid
>> committing too many more words to "paper"
>> before perhaps needing to go back and
>> edit the name.
>
>Well the naming part is the most fun, but I learned to give up on that
>topic years ago. It just wasn't worth the fighting about when the
>semantics were what I wanted to get right :)

Indeed; I was only asking for a decision, and I believe we have
achieved a consensus.

                                        - Harold